Those black spots you see around your shower and tub are mold. Mold can grow almost anywhere with excess moisture, poor ventilation, and no direct sunlight; that includes all the cities in the Valley of the Sun. The Phoenix metro area is not immune to mold.
Mold not only will ruin your home, but it can also trigger a serious allergic reaction. It’s extremely important to stop mold immediately.
Stopping Mold Before It Starts
Mold requires moisture to grow. The first step is keeping your home dry. Whenever you shower, run the vent fan for at least 15-20 minutes afterward. You may also need to get a dehumidifier to keep the humidity level inside at below 40% to stop mold.
Keep your furniture away from the walls to prevent condensation and to increase airflow. Likewise, don’t push shelved books and boxes to the wall, to prevent condensation. Also, give the clothes in your closet room to breathe.
Change the filters for your swamp cooler and air conditioner regularly to stop mold from scattering all over the house.
Getting Rid of Mold
The kitchen and bathroom are the rooms most at risk for mold, since these rooms have the most moisture. In fact, under the right conditions, you can have a mold problem in less than 48 hours.
The most recommended home mold remover is to dilute ¾ cup of chlorine bleach in a gallon of water, then scrub the mold spots with a stiff brush. Rinse off. It’s best to use bleach on sinks, tubs, and showers.
Hydrogen peroxide is also effective for killing mold, and it’s much less toxic than chlorine bleach. Likewise, it won’t bleach colors out. Just pour hydrogen peroxide from the drug store into a spray bottle, then spray the mold until it’s wet. Allow it sit for at least 10 minutes, then scrub off the mold and wipe it away.
However, if you have more than a few spots of mold around your sink or tub, you may need to call in professional help. If mold has worked its way into your drywall, that can be very difficult to get rid of. Mold can grow inside your walls if you have sweating or leaking water pipes. If that is the case, you’ll need to get professional help from both a plumber and a mold removal specialist in Phoenix.